Mark & Sue Pepe hail from Kensington, CT USA.

After finding our initial box in June 2002, we have since found letterboxes in 18 states and placed them in 13 states; 4 countries: Aruba, Bermuda, The Netherlands, Great Britain; and on a cruise ship! Thanks for stopping by our website and we appreciate your continued support.

"Have fun and just get out there & box!!!"

Email us: mjpepe1@comcast.net (Mark) or suepepe1@comcast.net (Sue)

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Lost Roman Coin Post = CLUE!

Thanks to all of you who sent heartfelt emails of concern over the loss of my good luck piece - my Roman coin. I wanted to carry this caper a little further but I felt guilty duping you all like that. I'm amazed at how many of you were concerned!

I first thought of clueing this box in this fashion after a recent post on the big list by Silver Eagle, that veteran boxer from TX. During one of his posts, he brought up the subject of giving better directions to clue locations. SI thanked all who took part in the discussion after the thread had run its course - many with differing opinions (moi included!) but the tone stayed civil. SI said that he thought the big list was dead and wondered before this incident, why Randy bothered keeping it going. That got me to thinking about the days when I read every post as if it were a clue; then at its face value!

I wanted to use this post - Please Help Me! - as a method to re-introduce the talk list as a clue repository. "Back in the day," when Sue & I first joined letterboxing and the big list, clues were hidden within the context of certain posts. New boxers ask all the time - "Are there any other places to find clues other than LBNA and Atlas Quest?" I hope our little excercise helps prove that there are many ways - creative ways - to post clues for a letterbox other than the mundane methods we all currently use by simply putting them on one of the 2 sites.

Nothing I've done here is very innovative; it's all been done before many times by those much smarter than me. It's just another method to clue a box called Roman Coin that might show a little creativity and raise the bar a bit. I hope you will all join me in challenging yourself to come up with new and different methods of clues so that this game remains fresh and keeps us on our toes (both on the trail and mentally!)

If I can do it; anyone can! This hobby will be all the better for it!

posted by Mark and Sue at Wednesday, April 23, 2008