Mark & Sue Pepe hail from Kensington, CT USA.

After finding our initial box in June 2002, we have since found letterboxes in 18 states and placed them in 13 states; 4 countries: Aruba, Bermuda, The Netherlands, Great Britain; and on a cruise ship! Thanks for stopping by our website and we appreciate your continued support.

"Have fun and just get out there & box!!!"

Email us: mjpepe1@comcast.net (Mark) or suepepe1@comcast.net (Sue)

Monday, November 21, 2005

What a day!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Funhog relaxing after the gathering


Part One

Gathering day started at the crack of dawn and Sue & I were in the parking lot of the pre-arranged motel meeting spot by 9:15am that was located just down the street from the gathering. As we drove in, we noticed a little huddle of friends: Alafair, Turtle McQ, Amanda from Seattle, Amy of Always Chaos and a little pink piggy who decided to surprise us all, Funhog! After greeting the group, Sue & I went on to our room that we were sharing with Deanne & Dave, who had just arrived.

We headed out to the gathering location and loved what we saw! SpringChick, Old Shoe & Azobox from MI were there as well. With TeamGreenDragon, Seth, Jennifer, Tony & Veronica and Jay Drew arriving shortly afterwards and Trish & Alafair hosting, this gathering was sure shaping up! We were so glad to meet the gals from the Cape as well! After some words to all, we preceeded to hide on the buffet table a pair of pinecone wooden salt & pepper shakers with 2 stamps I had carved and glued to the bottom of each shaker. I called this bit of mischief "Thanksgiving Before and After." The before was a nice little tom turkey; the after was Tom is a well done state, stuffed and in repose on a platter. I couldn't think of a way to put a logbook with this so we really have no idea how many people found this spicy holiday surprise.

Another bit of pinecone fun was a potholder that we purchased in Lake George several weeks ago that had a pocket in the front. Perfect for hiding the "Kitchen Angel" stamp and logbook and great for hanging off the handle of one of the cabinet door pulls! Our clue was attached on a display sign that said "Please be an angel and keep the kitchen clean." The back page of the logbook was stamped with another angel that was a bonus for anyone who asked me about it - but no one did!!


Part Two

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
One of the hooded monks making his mark in a logbook

As usual, exchanges and conversations began as the gathering got underway. After about an hour, the doors to the center parted and through them walked 3 people in oversized hooded dark brown robes. Silently, this trio found their way to a table and began unpacking their items: candles, sealing wax, jewel-encrusted offering plate! All conversations stopped as we watched the 3 monks silently set up for exchanges. Slowly, all of the observers began to find their way to the table o'monks with their logbooks in hand; like subjects paying homage to a king. Everyone wanted an exchange with these guys!

Thus they exchanged, in silence, for over an hour. At one point, the monk sitting on the end of the table handed Sue 2 small pieces of paper, typed in a gothic style script, on which were the answers to both our Dartmoor Traveler (The day the Baker's Dozen left for England) and my one day traveler of my favorite painter (Salvatore Dali.) Sue then was handed this enigma's logbook into which I stamped these 2 images. By then, I knew who at least 2 of the three were: Poison Ivy and Lady Prisspott!

Six months before this gathering, there were some rumors that the Mystery Gathering might be of epic proportions with surprises and special guests. Names were flying around - many of whom had confided in me that they would be there. As a way to surprise the rest of the attendees, I asked Poison Ivy and LP if they would like to attend, stay at our home and we could pull a fast one on the rest of this unsuspecting group.

Those of you that follow this website know that one of our most popular features ever was Lady Prisspott's Dilemma and the events that came afterwords. I still get comments on that series of letterboxes that were embedded in those events. This series was retired last month and had quite a few visitors while it was active. Since that collaboration, I was dying to meet both of these boxers.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Poison Ivy and Mark - we finally meet!


Unbeknownst to me, Ivy and LP had turned the tables on me and had planned for months to attend the gather with strict instructions to all they involved "Don't tell the Pepe's!" Even my last minute email to LP (just to see if I received an answer or if they were on the road to the event) came back with LP's regrets on not being able to attend. Imagine my surprise when I noticed that the smaller monk had a beard! It was Poison Ivy! Could LP be far behind?


Part 3

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The group of us that were staying at the motel got together later on for a bit of revelry! In passing, Funhog asked if I wanted her personal traveler. Now I knew what it entailed, I said I would pass. But the more I thought about it, I decided I would. To obtain this traveler, you have to roll around on the floor and oink like a pig. Needless to say, it was a sight!

But not as good as the next sight! Before I could get my camera ready, SpringChick, Azobox and Jay Drew were following suit in unison - on their knees, oinking and rolling as one on the floor! It was a sight to see!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
It was a special night with great friends. As you can see, I was a little overdressed for the evening! Truly a time to remember!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com





posted by Mark and Sue at Monday, November 21, 2005