Mark & Sue Pepe hail from Kensington, CT USA.

After finding our initial box in June 2002, we have since found letterboxes in 18 states and placed them in 13 states; 4 countries: Aruba, Bermuda, The Netherlands, Great Britain; and on a cruise ship! Thanks for stopping by our website and we appreciate your continued support.

"Have fun and just get out there & box!!!"

Email us: mjpepe1@comcast.net (Mark) or suepepe1@comcast.net (Sue)

Friday, September 30, 2005

An Email from a Park Ranger!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The following email was received by Wisconsin Hiker regarding a letterbox planted in a WI park. This email was published on the big talk list and we decided to let our readers take a look at it as well:

Hello:

I am a park ranger, I was patrolling Naga-Waukee Parklooking for evidence of cougars when instead I found your box on the ground. I assume it was supposed to be in the large fallen tree that it was under, so I put it back there. First I took it back to the ranger station to check it out and read the literature. I don't have a home made stamp so I used my ranger logo stamp instead.

You have a neat hobby. It seems to be harmless as long as everyone follows the rules in the instruction sheet. After dealing with drunks, litterbugs, and vandals it is nice to see some positive recreation going on in the parks.

What sort of maintenance is done on these boxes? Does the owner check on them periodically? Do they pick them up after they get old? If they just get left behind I could see that being an issue with a park manager. Has this "letterboxing" really been going on since 1854? What sort of waterproof box did they use back then? I don't think they had Tupperware!

Best regards and enjoy your county parks!

Tim

posted by Mark and Sue at Friday, September 30, 2005